Wall Bed Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question about Toronto wall beds? We’ve got the answer!
Q. Why should I invest in one of your Toronto wall beds?
The question isn’t “why should I?” but rather, “why shouldn’t I?”
If your home has a lot of components to it, but not a lot of space, then one of our Toronto Murphy beds would be a great addition. Simply unfold when you need it and put it away when you don’t. They are a comfortable, space-saving alternative to a real bed!
Q. Will my wall bed look ugly and awkward?
Not at all! When you buy one of our Toronto Murphy beds, we design them so that they can seamlessly integrate with any of the following:
- Media center
- Wardrobe system
Behind a stylish looking door or cabinet, your wall bed will be hiding.
Q. Can California Closets design their Toronto Murphy beds so the finish matches with my décor?
Absolutely. We have many colours available and your design consultant can help you pick the perfect look for your home and lifestyle. Our finishes include:
- Basic colours, such as: White, Ivory, Almond, Hardrock Maple, and Black.
- Wood finishes, such as: Chocolate Peartree, Cognac, Rustic Cherry, and Candlelight.
For a more luxurious look, why not try one of our woodgrain Lago finishes?
Q. How does a wall bed work?
Very easily. You simply pull the bed down and lift it back up. It’s very light, so if you have lifting restrictions or old injuries, our Toronto wall beds won’t aggravate them.
Q. What sort of mechanisms will work on my Murphy bed?
There are two popular types of mechanisms to lift and lower your wall bed:
- Spring mechanisms: a heavy duty steel spring system that may be able to be concealed within the frame of your wall-bed. The springs may need re-adjusting after a few years.
- Piston mechanisms: your wall bed will lift and lower using gas or air pressure. This will also provide more support for the bed. On the downside, they cannot be adjusted once installed.
Q. Is a mattress included with my wall bed?
No. California Closets will install the frame, but you will need to supply your own mattress.
Q. Can I use any mattress?
You sure can! That is one cost savings of our Toronto wall beds. As long as you have a standard size mattress, it should be able to fit within the frame of your choice.
Q. Does the Murphy bed have to be mounted to the floor?
Not at all. Our Toronto wall beds also mount easily on the wall. Here’s a breakdown of your options:
- Mounting on the floor: this will give you increased stability, however it’s at the expense of drilling into the floor and cutting any carpet away. This will be more difficult to remove.
- Mounting on the wall: at the cost of reduced stability, you can easily move your wall bed around.
Q. Does my wall bed have to be vertical?
This will depend on your preference and on the size of the room. Our Toronto Murphy beds are designed to be installed vertically or horizontally. If you have high ceilings, you may want to install vertically. If you have low ceilings, then a horizontal installation may be better.
Q. Is a Murphy bed safe?
Absolutely. Whether you choose a wall mount or a floor mount, you can sleep easy with a wall bed installation.
If you install a wall bed onto the floor, it will be bolted in and it will be quite sturdy. If you choose to go with a wall installation, the bed will be secured within the cabinet that is holding it and the cabinet is secured to the wall.
Contact a California Closets consultant today to learn more about our wall beds in Toronto!